Monday, June 7

Pita and Hummus

Tonight I didn't feel like making dinner so instead Greg had a grilled cheese sandwich when he got home from work and I made pitas and hummus as a half dinner later on. It was hot in the house (with the dryer running and the oven at 450 for the pitas) so we took our jean picnic blanket to the backyard and snacked on pitas, hummus and honey while we had FHE. It was so nice to just be outside in the cool weather. The pitas were so soft and delicious! I was surprised by how well they turned out. They were great with the hummus and when I needed a break from the garlic, they were really good with honey too. I think I want to try making some gyro sandwiches sometime with these.....yum!

Pita Bread from Joy of Cooking
3 c flour
1 1/2 TBSP sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 TBSP yeast (2 pgks)
2 TBSP butter, melted
1 1/4 c room temperature water

1. Mix flour, sugar, salt and yeast in mixer. Add in butter and water. Mix about 1 minute until ingredients are combined. Knead for 10 minutes.
2. Place dough in oiled bowl, cover with plastic or a towel and let rise about an hour, or until doubled in size.
3. Preheat oven with pizza stone in it to 450 degrees.
4. Punch down dough and divide into 8 balls. Cover with plastic and let rest for 20 minutes.
5. Roll out balls into rounds, about 1/8" thick and 8" in diameter. (Thicker ones will be easier to open and fill.)
6. Place rolled out dough on heated pizza stone for 2-3 minutes, flipping half way through the cooking.

Hummus
1 can garbonzo beans (chickpeas)
2-3 TBSP lemon juice
2-3 TBSP olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
dash of cayenne pepper and black pepper

Place garlic in food processor until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and process until desired consistency. Add more/less lemon juice and oil depending on desired thickness.

1 comment:

Emily Claire said...

YUMMMMMM!! I wish it was nice enough to go on a picnic in the front yard. But i totally understand the 500* house, I've been doing laundry. I love you!