Saturday, July 30

On the Impala, In-state and Sunburns

Last week our dear Impala started acting up (bucking, shifting roughly and check engine light) so I took it into a shop and they said because of the high mileage it probably needed a new transmission. Awesome, right? Yeah...awesome. So we got to buy our first transmission rebuild this week. I have never spend so much money in one place at one time in my entire life! Even buying my dear Jeepy was only about a third of the cost of repair bill. In consideration of the $2700 we spend we not only got a new transmission but also this awesome hunk of metal!



It's a piece from our old transmission and you can see how much of the threading (or whatever it's called) on the shaft had been shredded off. I guess it's a good thing that transmission started acting up when it did, rather than a catastrophic failure while I was driving around with the kids. I can't say I enjoyed the stress of running the car to different shops, deciding what to do with it, trying to figure out rides and having to borrow my boss's car for over a week, but it's all worked. Hopefully now that we've given the Impala some love and lots of money she'll hang in there until we get out of law school.

On a brighter note, Greg and I finally finished our application for in-state tuition. After much document collecting, copying, labeling, and organizing, it's done! We're nervous for what the decision will be, but both are very glad to have it completed. The funny thing is we stressed about it, put it off and drug our feet through the whole process but once we finished it, I was thinking it wasn't that bad. I should have just sucked it up and finished it earlier. Oh well, what's done is done. Now we just wait!


And last but not least sunburns. On Wednesday afternoon I took the kids to a pool where we met up with some of Kate's friends from preschool. It was lots of fun and the kids were well behaved. The weather was hot, but not too humid so it was refreshingly pleasant to be outside. Before I went I told Greg that I was going to get a tan. He reminded me that I don't tan, but I insisted that it was possible. Now I get to eat my words. I applied sunscreen except the center of my back where I couldn't reach. After three hours at the pool most of me is still pasty white however my back is red and burnt as ever. It hurts to wear a shirt. It hurts to lean back. It hurts when I extend my arms and stretch the skin. It just hurts. I think I've learned my lesson. Apply copious amount of sunscreen everywhere. I have a feeling I'm going to need to pick up some more sunscreen before going to CA. 

Well that's all for today. I've got cleaning and prep to do for a party I'm having tonight. The Mia Maids that I teach wanted me to host a movie party and since I'm a lone woman for another week I told them we'd party tonight. So I have a gaggle of 14/15 year olds coming over at 7pm. I know, you're all jealous. Also, I have so many decor/craft ideas from pinterest my head is going to explode if I don't make something so I'll probably find my way to Joanns/Michaels and see what I can come up with.  Hope you all have a fabulous weekend!

1 comment:

Emily Claire said...

2 words: SPRAY SUNCREEN, saves my life. Also, you should use some of that nuskin stuff... The skin conditioner? I burned earlier this summer and it cleared me up right quick!