Saturday, August 13

Lemon Raspberry Cake


On Tuesday we celebrated Greg's birthday and so Kate and I made an awesome cake. Did I take a picture? Of course not. So instead you get a picture of the inspiration cake. Just imagine this cake without the pansy and fancy lemon peel and with a light whipped cream frosting instead. I pulled together 3 or so different recipes to get the desired effect and I think it turned out great. The cake was lighter and more of a sponge cake and I especially loved the whipped cream frosting. It was so light and had just the perfect amount of lemon in it. My boss who doesn't like lemon cake loved it and Greg has already requested it for next year's birthday, so I'd call it a success.

The Cake
1 pkg lemon cake mix
1 pkg instant lemon pudding
3 egg whites
1 3/4 c water

Mix cake mix and pudding mix. Add in egg whites and water and mix well. Line the bottom of three cake pans with parchment or wax paper. Evenly distribute the batter between the three pans. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

The Frosting
2 c heavy cream
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 c lemon curd
Zest of 1 lemon

Beat heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in lemon curd and zest.

The Filling
1 small jar Raspberry Jam

Assembly
Place one cake layer on platter and pipe (or spread) a border of frosting around perimeter of cake (to keep filling from bleeding out the sides). Spread even layer of raspberry jam into center of cake. Repeat with next layer of cake. Place final layer on top of cake and frost with desired amount of frosting (I had about a cup of frosting leftover). Top cake with fresh raspberries and serve.

Inspiration - http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/lemon-raspberry-cake/a37b8504-5bcb-455c-8fc8-225ce2355e72
Cake - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/lemon-cake/detail.aspx
Frosting - http://behindtheskillet.blogspot.com/2010/06/angel-food-cake-with-lemon-whipped.html

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Yum! Greg is a lucky man :)