Friday, July 9

Something you may not know about Kristen....

I have a confession to make. Some of you already know this about me, but others may not. I have a weakness for infomercial products. I loved to watch the commercials when I was a kid and I love to watch them now. Now don't worry, I've never actually ordered something from an infomercial, I just love watching them. I love the products they come up with and the ridiculously dramatic commercials that accompany them. When I see the little As Seen On TV label on a product my heart does a little flutter (or something like that). When I get to walk through Bed, Bath and Beyond and check out all the gadgets and see their infomercial I get a little giddy and excited.

Think me silly, strange or easily entertained, I fully admit to watching and enjoying nearly every infomercial that I come across. Furthermore, I secretly dream of picking up the phone, dialing that 800 number and ordering nearly each and everyone one of the products (especially when they'll double my order if I call in the next 10 minutes!). So for fun tonight, while Greg is watching Gettysburg, I've decided to share some of my favorite As Seen On TV products to date!

The Silhouette Slim 'N Lift - I remember watching this one with Rachel and Emily years ago, all the women in the infomercial who tried it on were shocked and nearly reduced to tears by the amazing results. It was very late when we watched this one and we were all nearly rolling on the round laughing.


The Pasta Boat - I actually just saw this one over the weekend while in Idaho. I love the dramatization of the difficultly of boiling water to cook pasta. Why do that when you can have a Pasta Boat and your microwave do it for you? Not only does it cook pasta, it has a handy dandy strainer lid and cool grip handles that also measure spaghetti!


The Snuggie - No list of infomercials would be complete with out the Snuggie. I remember in my marketing class in Winter semester one of the group presentations was on Snuggies and the entire group dressed in Snuggies. It was hilarious. I can't believe how many patterns, colors and themes they now come in. If you can dream it, it can be put on cheap fleece and sewn into an awkward robe/blanket that you can wear!



The GT Express - For some reason this one just speaks to me. In the infomercial they make cake, omelets, rice, stuffed chicken, pork chops, potatoes, and more. For some reason or another I just have a great desire to try to cook a meal in the appliance that occupies the counter space of a toaster.


The Booty Pop - I don't know what to say about this one. It's just hilarious. Aren't women usually self-conscious about having a big booty? I guess not, because these little panties act like a push-up bra for your rear. I guess they'd be comfy to sit on....


Slap Chop - This one we actually got as a wedding present. It works well for chopping, but I can't say I would have bought it for myself. The infomercial is pretty funny, showing the difficulty of pulling out a knife and cutting board compared to the ease of chopping everything with this one gadget.


Bumpits - I honestly can't believe this one. Back combing and ratting your hair is bad enough, but this is just sad. Maybe it has it's use in formal updo styles, but wearing one of these things in everyday life seems a bit ridiculous. While I'm all for voluminous hair, this one just makes me laugh. Someday I'd like to try one out just for fun....


The Magic Bullet - And finally it's the king of all infomercials! The Australian guy, blonde lady and their odd assortment of guest in the infomercials create the perfect venue for showing off the amazing abilities of the Magic Bullet. It takes up the space of a coffee cup (well minus all the additional accessories) and after watching the infomercial you really truly believe this thing can do anything and that your life will be better with it on your counter.

Well thanks for coming along for my journey through As Seen On TV products! If you have an extra minute, look up some of these products on YouTube and check out the infomercials. I promise you'll get a laugh or two out of the experience!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

That's my girl! Part of getting over your addictions is admitting that it is a problem. I remember when you would get up early on Saturday morning and watch TV...not cartoons, but infomercials!

Emily Claire said...

HA! I totally remember the Slim-n-lift night! Good times. You failed to mention the perfect pancake maker that we bought dad. Also that Christmas that mom and dad didn't know what to get you so you got the magic bullet. Now all we need to get you is some of those booty poppers... YES! And I'm all for the bumpits, they'll save hair from being destroyed by back combing. You make me laugh, even the title of your blog. Hilarious! I miss you!