Saturday, January 21

The Nook

A couple weeks ago we found out that our landlord is going to let us stay once our little man is born (What a huge relief!!) so I've started to overhaul our storage nook so it can become the nursery. I cleaned out all the boxes and junk a couple weekends ago and now it's a mostly blank canvas. Honestly, since the day we moved in I've been eyeing the nook as a potential nursery, but I didn't know when or if it was going to ever happen. I don't want to spend a lot of money on putting it together and we're limited as far as space and what changes we can make to the space, so it's going to be a very minimalist nursery. Here is the space now....


The nook is just under 3 1/2 feet wide and about 7 feet deep, so basically it's a truncated hallway with a curtain door. Not a ton of space, but it will work for the time being. Here's what I'm thinking...


I'm not totally settled on exact colors or bedding but we've got some time. I know I want softer colors, not bright primary colors, probably subdued blue, orange, yellow and green. It really all depends on what I can find in fabrics and other decor items. What do you all think? Anyone have any ideas to make this small space both functional and adorable?

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

That looks like it will be really cute Kristen! This is reminding me of Rachel and her excitement and plans with her new room and studio...must run in the family :)

Melanie said...

Looks good. Not sure I love the striped dresser...It might be too much for the space. How about a solid color with cute knobs? I'm thinking about embroidering the alphabet banner ...like the pillows I made for the girls. Then making a traditional block quilt from the same fabrics. Blues, browns, greens and oranges maybe. Throw in plaids because I love them =) How does that sound? Excited for your baby nook!

amanda said...

Cute! how fun. I love mini cribs. I kind of want to get one no matter where we live because they just don't need that huge crib!

anyway, hmm, I like it. I like the color knobs ideas but I do love stripes.

this one is kind of cool: http://pinterest.com/pin/19914423322002328/

Katya said...

So adorable! I especially love the pom pom idea. I have zero experience with babies in small spaces, but I found an interesting Babble article about using closets as baby rooms. Maybe that will be inspiring? http://blogs.babble.com/family-style/2011/09/14/put-baby-in-the-closet-15-lovely-converted-closet-nurseries/

I want to see pictures of whatever you come up with!