Yesterday afternoon at work Kate had playgroup and so her dad set up their mini moon bounce for the kids to play on. The younger playgroup kids came and went then a couple older neighborhood kids came over and joined the party. One of them was a girl in first grade. She and I started talking about something, when she suddenly paused, sized me up then asked "Are you a teenager or a woman?" Honestly, I felt a little strange telling her I was a woman. I mean I'm 22, married, graduated from college and employed. I think that makes me a woman. But still it felt strange to say it out loud.
She then proceeded to tell me that I was very lucky to be a woman. I get to make lots of money, have a job, have a cell phone and do whatever I want. I tried to convince her that life as an adult wasn't all fun and games and that things like work weren't as glamorous as she may think. She then boldly stated that my job wasn't even that hard. I just have to watch the kids. She's right. I just watch kids. I just work 6 days and 55 hours a week. I just clean up all manner of bodily fluids (including the two bloody noses of yesterday). I just make meals and wipe up countless sticky messes. I just tidy endless toys that never seem to stay in their bins. I just calm the unpredictable tantrums of a three year old and screaming of a baby. She's right. I just watch the kids.
Thank you little girl for providing me with some fresh perspective on my life.
my weekend in google searches
1 year ago
5 comments:
hhaha that is so funny. That little girl is gonna be in for a surprise when she becomes a women! Also I was reading your post about being sick. And there is one thing that you aren't doing...EXERCISE!!! seriosuly it will help keep your immune system strong! I'm sure you know that though...just reminding you. Its kinda my job. Not to remind you but to exercise. :)
AAH! I have that SAME thought on a regular basis. "is this what being grown up is supposed to feel like?" And I'm 25!
I'm not sure when I'll feel grown up, maybe when I have kids of my own, or a house, or a car (that is younger than I am)... I guess it's a gradual thing.
Mary, she exercises through the kids she watches! :) You'll find out soon enough, Mar.
I think there needs to be a word for the time between teenager and adult. I don't really feel like a grown up most days, I am still trying to adjust into this role. It is especially difficult when people think I am a lot younger than I am (like 18) or that I am too young to have a child.
Hahaha! That made me giggle. I sure do understand how weird it feels to say it, and to hear yourself say it. Because when you're a kid, no one ever tells you what makes you a woman...and then when you get older, you still don't know!!! Hehe! Well, you can be a lady if you want. Sometimes I like that word better. It's nicer-sounding. ;)
Post a Comment