Saturday, June 4

Risotto and DYI Projects

Tonight for dinner I made this....


I'd never made risotto before and felt quite accomplished when it turned out. I added spinach because I was short on peas and it turned out to be a yummy dish full of vegetable goodness. 

I had the day off so after cleaning, washing dishes, unpacking and napping I went and did a little thrift store shopping. I checked out a number of pieces of furniture but settled on this little nightstand. I've been look for a replacement for our cheap IKEA table for a while now and this $10 little guy was perfect. 


 The hardware is a little dated so I already took it off, but in addition to replacing the hardware I think I'll also repaint it. Maybe cream? Or white? Or maybe brown? Thoughts? 


Also on my dyi list for the summer, I want to makeover our current headboard and make it a tufted upholstered one like the shown below. I just love the idea of leaning back onto a soft and cushy headboard to read in bed.


Now I just have to figure out how to make it happen with no power tools, no way to transport large supplies (like plywood), no hubby to help and without spending too much money. Wish me luck!

PS- I chopped off all my hair while I was home! What do you think?

6 comments:

amanda said...

ooh yum! I will have to try that dish. also, that nightstand is cute! I think a cream or brown would like nice! or gray, but I really love gray these days. I also like that head board! I would like that too, although it would look weird now since we don't have a frame.

and cute hair! I kind of want to cut mine again...but dave is "not ready for that" yet. haha. love ya!

Suzy said...

We still have paper pictures hanging on the walls...afraid I've got little to no knack for interior design...
but in other words your hair is AWESOME!!! love it!!! way to be brave kbob!!!!!!

Melanie said...

Love the nightstand! I think you should paint it something fun...red or blue. With white walls and neutral carpet, you could use a zippy piece in your bedroom =)

Dinner looks great! I'm very impressed as my one attempt at risotto was pretty gummy.

So I like the tufted headboard...a lot. Borrow some tools from Rob... He owes you!

Love the hair and so does Sarah. She's decided she wants her cut like yours. Immitation is the best flattery =)

Love you bunches!

Anne Flade said...

Kristen! I love this. You are so crafty, and being crafty is definitely not one my strengths.

Josh is going to be gone for like 3months this summer too (and one of the months he only has access to a phone once a week). I can emphathize with you.

Katya said...

love the hair!!! and your DIY projects sound awesome. we'll need some photos of the finished products! :)

Anonymous said...

If you figure out how to make a headboard let me know.