I'm supposedly on a diet for a family weight loss competition, but I'm finding it really hard to not cook fun and yummy meals.This recipe isn't particularly terrible, but I'm sure I could do without all the cheese. I've cut sugar out of my diet which is good, but I should probably work on reducing the calories and fat that I consume as well. More exercise would probably be good too. Anyone have a recommendation for good workout videos? I've got to find some because there isn't anyway I'm going for a run in the biting cold. Anyway onto the recipe....
This soup was amazing! I've had it bookmarked since it was first posted in November and decided a few days ago that I had to make it sometime in the next week. I'm so glad that I did. It was extremely flavorful and creamy, without being overly rich. I made a few adjustments to the ingredients and lots of adjustments to the directions, but lucky for me it still turned out fabulously. I will certainly try this one again when I've got all the ingredients, who knows maybe it's even better when you follow the recipe exactly. We had this soup with popovers which was good, but I think it would be good in a bread bowl as well.
Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
Slightly adapted from The Sisters Cafe (who adapted it from 365daysofcrockpot.com) with my alterations in italics
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 c finely diced celery - I didn't have any
1 c finely diced carrots
4 c chicken broth
1 c finely diced onion
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1/2 bay leaf - I just used a whole one
1 tsp oregano - I didn't have any
1 TBSP basil
1/2 c butter
1/2 c flour
1 c grated Parmesan cheese - I didn't have any, so I used a mix of cheddar and mozarella
2 c half and half, warmed - I used regular milk
1 tsp salt - I left out as it was plenty salty already
1/2 tsp pepper
Slow Cooker Directions:
In a large slow cooker, combine tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, bay leaf, oregano, and basil (if using fresh oregano and basil; if using dried oregano and basil add those two ingredients in the last hour of cook time). Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.
About an hour before serving prepare a roux: Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour; stir constantly with a whisk for 5 to 7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup from the slow cooker. Add another 3 cups soup and stir until smooth.
Add all back into the slow cooker. Stir and add Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for another hour until ready to serve. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Stovetop Directions:
In soup pot saute carrots, celery, onion and garlic in a TBSP of butter or olive oil until vegetables are slightly cooked. Add tomatoes, broth, oregano, basil and bay leaf. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are soft, about half an hour.
While vegetable mixture simmers, in a separate saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, stir and cook for a minute or so. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to boil, stirring regularly until the sauce thickens. Add cheese into white sauce and stir until melted. Slowly pour white sauce into the vegetable mixture stirring until two mixtures are well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low for 1/2 - 1 hour, or until ready to serve.
3 comments:
Mmm, this looks delicious!
I'm thinking this sounds like warm comfort food at it's best! Did you start it in the morning in the crockpot, or just on the stove after work? Sounds absolutely fabulous!
I so am going to try this!
Post a Comment