Thursday, January 13

Condensed Cream of Soup Substitute

I used to always have a can or two of cream of chicken and mushroom on hand, but lately when I go to stock up at the store I don't get any because they cost more than $1 a can, even for the generic brands. Call me cheap, but I don't want to pay more than 75 cents for that little can of goop.

So to compensate for my lack of canned cream of I found this substitute. It's quick to throw together and when used in a casserole you don't even notice a difference. It's certainly cheaper and has got to be better for you than the canned stuff because you're controlling the sodium and preservative levels.


Condensed Cream of Soup
2 TBSP butter
1/4 c "of" ingredients (finely diced chicken, mushrooms, celery, asparagus, etc.)
1/4 c flour
1/2 c stock/broth (chicken, beef or vegetable)
1/2 c milk
salt and pepper

In small saucepan, cook "of" ingredient with butter until soft and fully cooked. 

Add flour to saucepan and stir. Cook while stirring for a minute or two. 

Slowly whisk in broth and milk. Whisking regularly, bring mixture to boil and cook for a few minutes until thickened. If mixture seems overly thick add more broth or milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I wonder if you could make several batches and freeze it...part of the reason cream of soups are so nice is their convience. Open a can, plop out the contents with some milk and you've got the sauce for your prepared dish. I love that you know what is in it and that you can control the salt. You are wonderful!

amanda said...

Love it! I'm a total cheapo too, don't even worry.