Saturday, May 1

I feel ______ today

You know those "I feel____today" emotion charts?
Well if I had one of those my emotion would be.....


So I checked by grades this week and 3 of them were just what I expected, if not a little higher. The last one however was not what I expected. Not at all.

Let me explain this class I was in. It was one of those easy classes that you score a 90% or above on all assignments with little to no effort. You go to class, you complete the assignments and you study a little for quizzes and exams and you score in the 90s. Cool. Great. I was hopping this class would help bring up my GPA from the tougher classes like Managerial Economics and Strategy. Well it didn't. It was my lowest grade for the semester and among the lowest of my entire BYU career.

I got 94% of the points in the class and guess what grade that gave me....go ahead guess. No it wasn't an A....or an A-....or even a B+. It was a B. I got a 94.3% in the class and that gave me a B. To this I say (as I have said multiple times today) What the crap!?!?!??!?!?

So the difference between an A and B is less than 6% points. This really doesn't make any logical sense. Why would you rob students of the grades you have assigned to them throughout the semester?

Apparently the Marriott School implemented a new grading policy this semester forcing the average of all classes to a 3.4. So in this super easy class that everyone scores high in the teacher had to force a distribution, meaning that my 94% equated to a B. This is all to combat grade inflation and make BYU more competitive.

When I emailed the professor to ask about this, he politely told me that I was ranked 39th in the class and 79% of the class did better than me. Oh boy that makes me feel better. So not only to I get a B, but the vast majority of the class is smarter than me apparently. So basically I suck so I get B.

So now let's compare this grade scenario to another class from this semester....let's take Managerial Economics 453- Business, Money and Banking. This class was HARD, pull your hair out hard. I worked hard, but didn't do extraordinarily. I did alright on the midterms, but I nearly failed the final. I probably had a total score somewhere between 60-70%. Guess what grade I got in that class....B+. So in the class that I did worst I got a better grade....does this seem wrong to anyone else?

What really gets me is that I thought I was getting an A in the class. I would much rather have the professor grade me tough throughout the semester with grades in the B range, because then at least I would have known what grade I was earning. Instead, I get A's all through the semester then get a B. That just seems so wrong.

Frustrated doesn't begin to explain how I feel. So I think I'm going to write a strongly worded letter to the Dean explaining how I feel and how this new policy has screwed me out of the grade that I earned.

On the much brighter side-- WE'RE LEAVING FOR CALIFORNIA AND MEXICO TOMORROW!!! Hurray for cruises, road trips, sunshine, no work, no snow, full play days with Greg and maybe even getting a tan. :-)

2 comments:

Katya said...

that is ridiculous!!! holy cow, i cannot believe the curve would be so high in a class. i'm sorry kbob!

have fun on your adventures!

amanda said...

oh boy! I'd be so ticked! curves SUCK! suck suck suck. I'm jealous you're going on your cruise! That should make you feel better :)