Saturday, February 23

All for an apartment (and some pancakes)!

So right now I'm in the lobby of Monticello apartments with about 20 other crazy people to get a spot in one of the prized white brick apartments. The adventure began around 4:45am this morning when Suzy got up and drove Cosette here. At 5am she was the first one here. But only just barely. She only beat the next group by about 10 minutes. People were here at 5am on a Friday morning. People skipped class, they got others to cover shifts, they staked out their territory. This is no game.


These girls are vicious! The phrase all is far in love and war needs to be edited to say "all is fair in love, war and apartment searches". So there is a list, "the list" I guess I should call it. It contains the names of all those present in the order they got here. When part of one group left to take a girl home who wasn't feeling well home, one girl began to eye "the list". She started trying to convince another girl that we should cross them off "the list". People are that hard-core about getting into this apartment. This girl was honestly going to take these girls off the list because they weren't present at that very moment. All so she could get into the beloved white brick apartments. Luckily one of the group members was still here, so they get to stay. At least for now. It's amazing how much people will do just to get into an apartment that is close to campus and relatively cheap. Apparently the social life is prime, but still, in the end its just an apartment.


Why then you ask am I here joining in this insane game. Well I don't really have an answer. I guess it's mostly because I've heard it's a great place and it's really close to campus. I can literally see the JSB from the front of the apartment. Yet still this isn't enough to induce me to wake up at 5am to camp out. Here another factor comes into play. Suzy and Cosette really wanted to live here, so much to the point that they were willing to get up at 4:45am. I'm simply not that hard-core. I would have been completely satisfied to live in a different apartment, but hey if others are going the distance, then why not? I didn't have to take the 5am shift, just the 1:30 to 7 and then come back at night for the fun sleepover part. (And hey, who could pass up the opportunity to live in the same complex as Suzy?)

Follow up....

We'll we got our apartment. After a night of very few hours of sleep in a stuffy and crowded lobby Suzy, Cosette and I got contracts. We signed them then made our quick exit leaving a crowd of people standing in line in the parking lot. Not only did we get contracts, we got pancakes. Some guys who live in the complex now came and brought out pancakes and eggs for those who had camped out. What big niceys (yes is Suzy rubbing off on me). I think it is a sign of good things to come next year. Hopefully people are as nice to you when you live there as they are when you are camping out in their lobby trying to get a contract.

So all in all it was a grand adventure I suppose. I did something I'll probably never do again, incurred some serious sleep debt and now have a crazy story to tell my kids about my college days.

2 comments:

Katya said...

hahah Kristen I love your post. Who would've thought apartment hunting could get so intense? I'm glad all duh and I had to do was walk into the Elms office and sign on the line. :)

Suzy said...

Actually, it was 4:49 a.m. when we got there, but whatev (and I got up at 4:35...which is sick and wrong). I still am embarrassed that we actually camped out! What's wrong with us??? SHEESH! All I can say, K-bob, is that we better get you married to one of these Monticello boys before the year is up and it will have been worth it.
ps I think you'll agree with me when I say the pancakes and eggs didn't really taste that good at all, but it certainly was the thought that counted in this case :)