My dad I guess foresaw this tribulation last August even before I had left Washington. He proposed that I get some Yaktrax (the stylish accessories seen below) and I could easily slip them on my shoes before walking to classes. I in my naivety brushed him off. I thought they sounded like the nerdiest thing ever and I mean honestly how hard could it be to walk on the snow and ice? As always, though I hate admitting it, my dad was right. Oh how I wish I had a set of Yaktraxs now.
My roommates all find this predicament incredibly entertaining. Apparently people who were born in raised in Utah have a certain balance on ice that the rest of us weren't blessed with. Or just perhaps, they have had years and years of practice, however that sounds like far to reasonable of a explanation so I'm sticking with my first thought. Unfortunately I'm afraid it may just be me who is incompetent. Other non-natives seem just fine at walking on ice. Some people even do it on purpose for fun!Why is it that when you're walking around campus and someone sees you slip they toss out a "be careful" or "it's slippery"? Do they think I haven't noticed the ice that I've been slipping on since I left my back door? You mean that clearish layer stuff covering the ground is slippery? No way! I'm sure that they have good intentions and are trying to be nice, but really pointing out that it is slippery merely shatters my hope that no one sees me slipping around.
One question remains, how do you gracefully recover from a near fall or even a complete fall? So far I haven't figured it out. Do you laugh it off? Lay on the ground and throw a little fit? Get up and pretend nothing happened? So far I've been sticking with the latter of the three hoping that as few people as possible witnessed my incompetence. Sadly on a campus of upwards of 30,000 students, I'm afraid that this hope of this is a vain one. Perhaps I should just start crawling to class. I don't think I could mess that up.
Well I think I've worn out this rant. I will conclude my saying I'm greatly looking forward to spring. I can't wait for the day when I can walk to class quickly, without watching my feet and without looking incompetent on dry and clear sidewalks.
1 comment:
I love it K-bob!! Wahoo! The world of blogging is a beautiful thing indeed.
Kristen truly is a a great storyteller--when she was telling us of her intimate experiences with the Utah ice, Lauren, Amanda and I were all CRACKING up for at least five straight minutes! Sheesh! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time...thanks again K-bob, for sacrificing your dignity to make my day better. :)
Post a Comment