Saturday, February 16

Saturdays

Is there a better day than Saturday? I would argue not. The feeling of waking up when you want and staying in bed until you are good and ready to face the day is a beautiful thing. This morning I woke up around 10:30 but stayed in bed and read until 11. I know this doesn't sound extremely shocking, but me staying in bed until 11 is a big deal.

Back at home staying in bed until 11 would never be possible, that is baring some miracle. Every non-school morning during high school if we were still found in bed around 8:30 or 9 the torcher would start. My mother would walk down the hall and start singing "Have I done any good in the world today? I have helped anyone in need? Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad? If not I have failed indeed. Has anyone's burden been lifted today, because I was willing to share? Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way? When they needed my help was I there?" By this point she would be in my room with a heard of my younger siblings joining in for the chorus, "Then wake up and do something more then dream of your mansions above. Doing good in a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love."

By this time my mom and siblings had usually broken out in full on opera style. My siblings would be jumping on me, trying to tickle me, take away my blankets or just cause annoyance in general. I can't remember how many times I wished that they would all just leave me alone and let me sleep! You know what, I think I miss it just a little bit.

Every time I hear that song I can't help but smile and think of my mom. She jokes that she wants the song sung at her funeral. I think I'd be a bit morbid to be singing it at her funeral, but we joked once that we could spring load her coffin and she could pop up when we got to the then wake up part. I have a feeling we wouldn't find it so funny then.

So back to my day...
Around 11 I decided to do some stuff on my computer, then around 11:30 I got up enough gumption to shower. So around 12 I was awake, showered, dressed, and making breakfast (well I guess it would be lunch).

Another thing I love about Saturdays is real breakfast. I was in no hurry so I made French toast. Yum. I'm thinking I need to hire a someone to make me breakfast because I cannot tell you how sick I get of toast, cereal, toast, cereal, oatmeal, cereal, toast then some more soggy nasty cereal. As if cereal isn't boring enough on its own, factor in eating the same cereal for about two weeks. At home a box of cereal never lasted much more than two days (that is unless it was a nasty kind or plain chex or rice crispies) but I can't get through a box that fast. Whatever cereal I pick is kind of a long term commitment. I guess my cereal choice is really my only form of commitment right now. I generally stick with Cinnamon Life but I think I may mix it up next time I buy cereal. Maybe I'll even branch out to something exciting like Honey Nut Cheerios, or even Raisin Bran Crunch!

Well that pretty much brings us to now. It's just after 1 and I'm dressed, my hair is dry, I had breakfast and now I'm writing on my blog. What a day.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

ha ha I love you! I'm glad we got tospend a lazy saturday together.