Sunday, April 20

Oregon Coast

With this semester almost over (only three more finals!!) and my trip to the Oregon Coast approaching (HURRAY!), I thought a post about the Oregon Coast was in order.

We have been going to the Oregon Coast as a family for years! We always seem to go at unconventional times of the year (December or March). This year we are going in May! We may actually get some sun this year! Every memory of the Oregon Coast I have includes rain. I remember one year it was so bad that roads were closed off and they only let us through because we we're in our big 12 passenger van. Even then the water came up half way up the tires. But hey rain didn't ever discourage us. All we needed was one sunny afternoon to play on the beach and a couple of breaks in the rain to explore the tide pools.

We haven't been in a couple of years, as the last trip didn't go so well. Right before we left my Grandpa died, my Dad just got back from a business trip in the Middle East just in time for my Grandpa's funeral, my now sister-in-law came to meet the family and I think somebody was sick. When we finally got there we found that the house was WAY smaller than the photos led us to believe. The ten of us were just a little cozy for those couple of days. While were expecting rain, we weren't expecting unceasing down pouring. While the rain didn't keep my brother and sister-in-law from taking long "walks" on the beach, it kept the rest of us inside. The one extremely funny things about that trip was the polygamists that were next door to us. There were probably a six or more women, all in long pioneer dresses and braids, and only two men. Oh and lots of children. The creepy thing was that their big house had giant windows that looked out on the beach so when we went out to play they would stand at the windows and watch us. My sisters and I were all petrified that the polygamists were going to kidnap us and make us wives.

This year we are trying a new house. Hopefully there won't be any polygamists. Also I have great hopes of it not raining the entire trip. I can't wait to hear the waves pounding on the beach. I can't wait to fly a kite in wind so strong that my Dad has to hold on to me so I don't fly away with the kite. I can't wait to feel on my face and smell the salty ocean air. I can't wait to spend time just relaxing and playing with my family. I can't wait to explore the tide pools and see all the cool creatures. I can't wait to take lots of pictures and capture some of the beauty around me!

Here are some pictures from past years....



The family in 2004 with the Yellow Submarine.
The family (with the soon to be engaged James and Mandy) in 2005 again with the Yellow Submarine.

Now I just have to make it through these last finals....

2 comments:

Katya said...

oh my fun, kristen! I'm jealous. I want to go to the beach...meh...

Suzy said...

Haha in the first picture (2004) James looks really lonely! Good thing he found himself a wife!!! Hooray for the BEACH and I hope you have a blast even if it does rain!!! and even if you do have chipmunk cheeks from your wisdom teethless mouth!!!!