Let's rewind to a couple weeks ago.....we were shopping at Target and I saw potatoes on sale for a good price. not amazing, but better than the $3 price I usually see at Shoppers (our main grocery store). For some reason I wanted to get two bags. Greg even asked if we could use them before they went bad, and I insisted that we could. After living in Provo where I never paid more than $1 for a 10lb bag of potatoes I was so excited to see a price that was actually reasonable that I couldn't help myself.
Now fast forward now....I have about 5lbs of potatoes sitting in our pantry that are mildly squishy and growing arms and legs in every direction. I've made cream of potato soup, breakfast hash, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes and I'm about out of ideas. I've been feeling really guilty about letting them continue their path to the trash can so I went in search of a tasty homemade oven fries recipe. I loosely based my creation off the recipe on this blog, Word of Wisdom Living, and was quite please with the results. So here you have my recipe for I-Need-to-Use-Up-Potatoes-Oven Fries.
I-Need-to-Use-Up-Potatoes-Oven Fries
4 medium potatoes (any kind in any state, yes even semi-squishy and with arms)
2 TBSP Olive Oil
1-3 Garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 tsp Basil
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp Kosher Salt (or regular table salt)
1/4 tsp Black pepper
Peel potatoes, remove any appendages that have grown and cut out any bad parts. Cut into desired shape, whether it be wedges or traditional fry shape. Put into bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and toss fries (I used tongs) to make sure all are coated. Add minced garlic and dry seasonings to bowl and toss until seasonings are evenly coating all fries.
Pour fries onto baking sheet lined with foil (for easy clean up). Bake at 425 for 30-40 minutes, or until fries are desired crispiness. If making wedges, flip after 20 minutes. If making traditional shaped toss periodically throughout baking.
my weekend in google searches
1 year ago
1 comment:
Sounds fabulous! To make them greek fries, make your spice oregano and garlic and sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese after you take them from the oven.
On a side note, I remember going into the spud cellar with my dad when I little and there was a mountain of spuds with arms and legs...freaky! The stuff nightmares are made of!
Post a Comment