I was looking online for a recipe for homemade apple cider for our party on Saturday but most of the ones I found were for reals. Like from whole apples. I wasn't up for that much work so I was excited when I found a recipe for apple cider from plain apple juice. So here it is....
Hot Apple Cider
1 gallon apple juice
1 tsp lemon juice (more if you desire tangy cider)
3-4 whole cloves
2-3 cinnamon sticks broken into small pieces
1 whole nutmeg
Orange peel pieces
Cheese cloth and string
1. Place cloves, cinnamon stick pieces, nutmeg and orange peel in the cheese cloth square, gather the corners together and use string to tie into little pouch.
2. Pour apple juice and lemon juice in crockpot and stir. Set crockpot to medium or low (if you don't have time set it to high).
3. Put in spice pouch, put on the lid and let it heat up until you're ready to serve, stirring occasionally. The longer you leave it in the apple juice, the stronger the flavor will be (I let my batch go for about 4 hours). You can remove the pouch before serving, or just leave it in, whatever you'd like.
2 comments:
Thanks! Where does one find cheese cloth and how expensive are whole cloves and cinnamon sticks? Sorry, you don't have to cater to all needs :)
I found cheese cloth at the grocery store by the cooking tools. The whole cloves and nutmeg were about $2 each and cinnamon sticks were $1 for 10-12 sticks (in the bagged Mexican spice section). It wasn't too expensive, especially considering you will have leftover spices to last years.
Post a Comment