Wednesday, November 3

Lentil and Sausage Soup

Tonight I attended my first Young Womens activity tonight for my new calling. It was a combined YW and the girls were planning their YW in Excellence event. It was overwhelming. I had forgotten how high energy those girls can be. I think I've been in the docile Relief Society too long, because I couldn't keep up with them all. The other leaders are great, but I don't feel old enough to be one of them. On the flip side, I don't fit in with the girls anymore. I'm just kind of floating round trying to figure out where I fit. I think the most difficult thing is that I don't really know these women and girls. I have a list of names, but I can only put names on maybe 5 out of 30+ faces. Wahoo for stretching experiences that drag you out of your comfort zone.

Onto the recipe I've got....I hadn't ever cooked with lentils before and I'm pretty sure as a child I was vehemently opposed to soups my mom made with lentils. Well Mommy, I have seen the light. At less 75 cents per pound, these healthy little legumes are going to start showing up in my soups this winter. This recipe was on the back of the lentil bag and it proved to be quite delicious. It makes a hearty and flavorful soup perfect for the fall/winter season.

Lentil and Sausage Soup
Serves 6
2 TBSP olive oil
2 c sliced leeks (I didn't have any, so I left them out)
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp thyme leaves ( I just used ground thyme)
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 c chopped carrots
1 1/2 c chopped celery
5 c chicken broth (I used water+chicken bouillon)
1 can diced tomatoes
8 oz lentils (1/2 of a 16 oz pkg)
1/2 lb kielbasa sausage, sliced then quartered

1. Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat. Saute leeks, onion, garlic, salt, thyme, pepper and cumin until softened. Stir in carrots and celery and saute 5 minutes.
2. Add chicken broth, tomatoes and lentils. Cover and simmer 50 minutes.
3. Brown kielbasa in skillet, then add to soup pot and let simmer 10 minutes. Serve with Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.

Disclaimer- I was going to take a picture of this meal, but honestly it looked nasty. It tastes amazing, but looks a little like something you'd find in a diaper. I think that it is just the nature of lentils to look less than appetizing.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I'm going to have to make lentil soup! After all those years of you poo-pooing my lentil soup offerings, I haven't made it for years! And you can't beat the price =)

Thanks for the inspiration!