Saturday, April 10

Strawberry Jam

Yesterday afternoon after work and my list of errands I made strawberry jam! Ever since our last jar of homemade jam ran out I've been wanting to make some and I finally got to. Strawberries were on sale (hurray for Sunflower Markets!) and Greg's mom brought up her water bath canner when she came last week for me to borrow.

It was more intense than I thought it would be! I've helped other people can, but never canned a whole batch alone. I was so worried that I'd mess up and it would all be wasted, but everything seems to have worked just fine. The jam firmed up and the jars sealed so I think I will deem my first attempt a success. Hurray for 11 jars of homemade strawberry jam in our cupboard!





On a not so happy note we are STILL waiting to hear back from Arizona State. It is now April 10th. We have been waiting for a response for over 5 months. That just seems a little ridiculous. Do they not realized that people are waiting to plan their lives based on their admission decisions?

At this point I'm starting to wonder if we'll end up at George Mason (GMU) in Virginia. I really thought ASU was the place for us, but I'm starting to doubt when day after day we get no response from ASU. Greg called them a few weeks back and they said they plan to have most decisions mailed out by April 15th. That's great and all, but GMU wants a decision and a $500 non-refundable seat deposit by the 15th as well. I guess we'll probably end up paying $500 to GMU, no matter if we attend or not. Lame.

School is winding down and it's unbelievable that it will all be over shortly. How has time flown by so fast? I can't believe my three years here at BYU are nearly over. I wrote my last big paper this week and rejoiced in the realization that I will never again write another paper again. I can almost feel the freedom. Just a few finals are standing between me and graduation.

I'm excited, but sometimes I worry that I'll miss school. For the last 16 years I have been a student. While I love the summers, I have always felt a draw back to school when fall time comes. School has been the defining activity in my life. I am a student. What will I be when I'm not a student? I guess just a normal person. :-)

It sure would be helpful if ASU would respond so we can decide where we'll be going. Then hopefully I can start to figure out what's next for me.

2 comments:

amanda said...

I"m so impressed! Holy cow! now I wish there was time for you to help me make jam! haha. oh man, I know how the waiting feels. probably not as intense, but, it still sucks. good luck!

Kristen said...

Well I'd love to do a batch with you! If you have any free time I'd love to have an excuse not to study! :-) Really let me know if you're interested. It just takes an hour or so and voila you have almost a dozen jars of jam! I've got the water bath canner until Greg's parents come up for graduation so let me know....