Monday, August 11

William's New Room

When we have visitors William almost always asks them if he can show them his "new room!" He then will tell them about how he painted, built a wall, hung the curtain, put in carpet and put in a fan. It's pretty hilarious how he takes ownership of all the work we did, I supposed he's just mimicking the many times I've shown it to others and said the same things. So without further ado, here is William's bedroom!

A couple before and in process pics....



And the finished product....




What started as a unfinished dark, musty and creepy storage room, has been turned into a habitable 10x12 bedroom. Okay it has no closet or window.....so technically it's not a bedroom, but it's the closest thing William's gotten thus far. It was a ton of work, and I couldn't have done it without all the help from Greg and my family, especially my Dad, our resident how-to guy. 

The hardest, most time consuming and most frustrating part was mudding and sanding the drywall seams. It took forever and even so, the end result is just okay. If I could do it again, I think it might have been worth the money to hire someone to do it. Lesson learned. But all the work paid off and we love having space just for William and his things (that isn't a laundry room or storage space).

A couple of finishing touches and I can finally call the room completely done. Some trim on the door, an IKEA road rug, maybe recover the chair cushion and a little decor to add some personality and we'll call it good. Any ideas on how to spruce it up a bit? 

I'm pretty much finished with projects at my house....so look out Mom, I'm coming to your house next!

2 comments:

amanda said...

Woo! Sam would be so jealous. Nice work. I imagine there are definitely things worth hiring someone for. Maybe some cute storage baskets or wall art? Love how he tells everyone, so cute.

Stephanie said...

Wow Kristen, I'm impressed! It looks like such a cute little room and am sure William will love having his own little space. That's so cute how he tells everyone what he did to build it!