Saturday, July 26

Summer Happenings

I guess I never mentioned it, but Gregory got a job! He's at a small firm in Seattle that does a little bit of everything, but also has an International Law division. He started work at the start of June and it's going well so far. He's learning a lot and staying very busy. With his bus ride, he is gone for long days which is a bummer, but it's nice that he can catch the bus just across the street. Even though it's been nearly 2 months, I still feel like I'm adjusting to having him gone all the time. Between work and his YM calling, sometimes it feels like he's never home, which makes me all the more glad to have family so close.

Rewind to the start of the month, we had a really nice 4th of July. We were invited to a friends for a BBQ and had a nice time. As you can see, it was a little chilly, enough so that we ran home for sweatshirts partway through the night. What a huge difference from last 4th of July in Virginia. Last year we were hot and sweltering in the heat, even after the sun went down. William loved the "fire-booms" and Gregory, who thought the evening might not be up to par, was impressed by Washingtons display of patriotism. 


The little man has mastered the tricycle. He cruses right along on this thing and loves to find things to pull around the yard. This little dude is quite a handful. Definitely a strong willed and highly energized child. He is a talking machine, and never lacks something to say. Mimicking Greg, William often tells me "thank you honey" after a meal. He must have very vivid memories, because he is often struck by a memory and will recount in great detail what happened. Like the other day he jumped down from a chair, his eyes glazed over for a second then he started recounting every details from our trip to the pool two weeks ago. It's always fun to hear what the highlights of life are for a two year old. 

We decided that since we'll be staying here at my parents mother-in-law apartment for the next year or so it was worth it to replace the well worn and patchwork carpet in the front room. We love it. It gives the front room a big face lift and feels so nice to walk, sit or lay on.

Last weekend my sister got us free tickets to the Museum of Flight. Shockingly (not), William loved it. He went crazy over all the airplanes and was a mad man running from display to display. The kids section was especially cool because you could climb into 2 airplanes and a helicopter. It was nice to get out and do something together. 

And no post would be complete with out something about food so... I'm loving barley salads these days. This Mediterranean style salad and this Santa Fe style salad are two favorites that I've repeated a few times. I made Cherry Sorbet and it was to die for. Then last week I made this Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream and it was equally divine. I'm so glad that most of the 20lb box cherries are still awaiting use in my freezer. Also, I tried this Monkey Butter (left out all the sugar) last week because I had a ton of ripe bananas and I was pleasantly surprised. And finally I made Mel's Chocolate Granola Bites with chopped dried cherries and they were divine. I wish I hadn't eaten them all so I could have another right now. Maybe I'll just make some of these Chocolate Macroons instead.....

4 comments:

amanda said...

I have some barley I don't know what to do with, so thank you! And none of the pictures work!! But I loved your descriptions. Can't wait for a beach day--August should be perfect!

Stephanie said...

That is so cute that he says "thank you honey"!! Haha, I love hearing all the stories about him! Wish I could see him!

K Puls said...

Dude, I have been trying to figure out what to do with a neglected bag of barley for like 3 months now, so thank you for the inspiration! Congratulations to Greg! That's so exciting!

Suzy said...

HUZZAH FOR JOBS!!!!! and nice fluffy carpet. :) :)