Sunday, August 19

Culinary Pursuits

The past weeks I've made some tasty stuff. Did I take pictures of any of it....well no. But still we have been enjoying some great food here. :-)

A while back I tried out a couple new dishes...sausage couscous was a fun new flavor profile for us, and we loved this orzo salad and this quinoa salad for summer. Also noteworthy was spaghetti with garlic breadcrumbs and General Tso's Chicken.

For Greg's birthday I made these cinnamon rolls for breakfast, then for dinner I made chicken cordon bleu, cheesy zucchini rice  and this cookie dough cheesecake which was to die for.   It was sooooooooooooo good. For a week it was the bane of my post-baby diet. Next time I make it I think we should probably invite someone over to eat it with us or give away half of it. Or not. 

Lastly, I stumbled across a recipe for homemade yogurt this week and decided to give it a try. We love yogurt and eat lots of it. I usually wait for Yoplait to be on sale, but even on sale they're 50 cents each and we go through them pretty quick. The recipe takes a gallon of milk and a 6-8oz starter yogurt. The first part of the process is kind of long and involved, but at the end of it all you have 4 beautiful quarts of fresh yogurt. This batch was a little on the thin side so I think next time I'll try a couple things differently to get it thicker. I flavored the first quart with a blueberry sauce and I'm thinking pineapple, strawberry and lemon for the remaining quarts. Anyway, here is the recipe.

Anyway, that's what's been cooking in my kitchen. What's been cooking in yours?

3 comments:

amanda said...

We love both those best bites salads! We especially like the lemon orzo one. We eat it at least twice a month. Yum. And those desserts sound so good!!!

Melanie said...

OK, I think I've got orzo in the cupboard...I'm going to have to try it. The yogurt also sounds interesting. You definitely are a domestic goddeess! Makes me proud =)

Katya said...

Oh man, that all sounds so good! I think I need to get on this quinoa thing. Cookie dough cheesecake sounds amazing!
Aaron and I have recently discovered no-knead pizza dough, so we did that topped with olive oil, ultra thinly sliced potatoes, corn and feta cheese. It was delicious! We're also really into chicken tikka masala and basmati rice.