Sunday, October 9

Lemon Drop Cookies

One word. Yum. A friend of mine brought these cookies to a party months ago and ever since then I've wanted to make them. I bought the lemon drops a while back but kept waiting for the lemon extract to go on sale.  There was no way I was paying $7 for a little bottle of McCormick Lemon Extract. Finally lemon extract popped up in the dollar spices so I finally got to make these delicious cookies. They were just as good as I remembered and a nice change to the usual chocolate chip cookies. This makes a huge batch so we took some to our friends who just had a baby, shared others with friends at a game night, ate some ourselves and froze the rest for Greg's lunches. 

Lemon Drop Cookies
yields 4 to 5 dozen cookies


2 c. sugar
1 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening (I used regular shortening)
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon extract
4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Finely chopped zest of one lemon
1 (6-oz) package lemon drops
2 c. powdered sugar
juice of two lemons (4-5 tbsp lemon juice)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In mixing bowl, cream sugar, shortening, and eggs; add flavorings. Stir in dry ingredients, lemon zest, and crushed lemon drops (I put them in a bag and beat them with my rolling pin). Roll into balls, flatten slightly, and bake on parchment lined (if you don't use parchment, cookies will stick to pan) baking sheet for 9 to 11 minutes. Let cool slightly on pan for a couple of minutes. Make a glaze by mixing powdered sugar with lemon juice. Brush glaze over cookie tops. Let cookies cool completely.


3 comments:

Suzy said...

these look delish and I'm drooling. I wonder if lemon extract is that expensive here! hope all is well kbob :D

Mary and Jordan said...

yumm they are so good. i ate all of them!

Katya said...

these sound so good! thanks for sharing!