Sunday, February 23

February


Parenting is tough stuff. I have a feeling it's only going to get harder as William grows and more children come along, but already I'm stumped. How do you find the balance between showing unconditional love and setting/enforcing expectations? What things do you let slide and what things do you stand your ground on? What are realistic expectations for behavior at any given age? And perhaps most pertinent, how to you get your toddler stop hitting and stealing toys from other kids?!?

We're moving in less than a month. It's so bittersweet. I'm thrilled to be moving back west and to be with family again. And I'm excited to be out of the big city and the non-stop life we've been living. Yet, the thought of leaving the life we've built here in Virginia makes me want to cry. I'm so sad to be leaving all these wonderful friends. It took a long time for Virginia to feel like home and now we have to say goodbye and start over again. 

William is such a little man now. He is a taking machine. My favorite words/phrases of his are "I like that!", "Bummer."and "It's cute!". He knows where every fire station, metro line and construction site is on our commute and excitedly announces when we're approaching. He loves fruit and so we use it to bribe him to eat the rest of his dinner. He thinks it's great fun to feed, diaper, wipe, swaddle and rock his teddy bear. He thinks every screen is a touch screen, even our tube TV and my 7+ year old Dell laptop. And his hair is out of control and I love it. 

And after reading Katya's post on her kitchen fun here's what's been happening in our kitchen. I'm still loving basically everything on Mel's blog and I'm trying lots of vegetarian/vegan recipes these days. I've been honing my whole wheat breading making skills thanks to a great recipe from my mother-in-law and haven't bought a loaf of bread in a couple months. Some of my new favorites are this coconut red lentil soup, this quinoa chili, fritatas, these cookies with half butterscotch chips and homemade almond butter. And I'm slightly obsessed with this granola recipe. I've altered it significantly (where do you even find brown rice syrup?) and it's a winner. And final thoughts on food, I went to a RS activity of the benefits of eating raw and I think I'm going to try to make green smoothies. It may be a disaster in my weak blender, but it's worth a go, right? 

Happy last week of February!

3 comments:

amanda said...

Oh man, those questions are so true! (If that makes sense, haha). Sam's thinks it's funny to hit us and when is it too late to have taught him it's not ok?? I'm sooo in love with mels blog. I think we eat her stuff 4-5 nights of the week. Thanks for the recipes! We mostly eat vegetarian and we like it. Green smoothies are good too; I stopped for a long time (not that I ever did it regularly) but we got a really great blender for Christmas so I've been making them a few times a week. I've only made one that was so bad I couldn't finish (it was like "everything but the kitchen sink smoothie" and bleh!! So bad. Have fun! And it's so hard to move! I am sorry it is sad but I'm excited to have you close. :)

Melanie said...

Sarah will get William back on the right track! I am sorry that moving is hard...but it is often the hard things that teach us the most or at least where we stretch and grow! Can't wait to have you home! Xoxo

K Puls said...

Kbob, after you move, I swear, nearly all of my friends will be in the Pacific Northwest. Aaron and I are missing out! I want your bread recipe and your granola tweaks! What did you sub for rice syrup?