Sunday, October 20

The State of Things

Impending unemployment and job searching is not fun. So much waiting and uncertainty. Getting your hopes up only to have them let down. Hoping and praying that something will work out. That all our efforts will be enough. That the past 3+ years of schooling and hard work weren't for nothing. Hoping that some sort of relief from the non-stop pace we've been running at is in sight. We're so very excited to be move forward in life, to not be students, to pay off debt, save for a car and house, grow our family and settle down. But all that feels so out of reach right now.

After not getting hired on at Gregory's current firm and looking at a few options here, we decided to pack up and head back west. Virginia has been a good home to us the last 3+ years, but we don't want to stay here long term. Too expensive and too far away from family. If we don't get a job in the next couple months then Gregory is going to take the Washington bar in February and we're moving into my parent's in-law apartment next May. While the thought of being unemployed and moving back in with my parents isn't our ideal, I love love love the idea of moving home. The idea of living near family again is just bliss.

Work is fine. Some days are crazy and I want to pull my hair out, but that's childcare/motherhood for you. I don't love working M-F again, but the hours are manageable and the situation is pretty ideal considering. However, after 3 years caring for, cleaning up after, taxing around and managing the others kiddos I'm just done. I want to focus on our family and give all my energy and efforts to our family, child and home.

And for me time is just not passing. The days and weeks are dragging on. I just want the calendar to fly forward to the spring. Even if we don't have a job, I want to move forward. We have a plan that we feel good about and I'm ready to face whatever it brings. Gregory has a lot of changes in the coming months, but for me it's all the same until we move. I'm having such a hard time staying excited and engaged in the present.

Gah. And that is the state of things.


2 comments:

amanda said...

Glad for an update!! I am sorry for all the uncertainty. I know things will work out and...WASHINGTON??? So close!! Maybe we can finally see each other after 4 years or something? Or only (only) 3? And wow, I think you are superwoman. Seriously.

K Puls said...

Sorry for the dragging and not-knowing. :( That is not a fun position to be in. I'm a little jealous you guys are going back west! That will be so nice to be nearer to your family. We need to get together again before you guys leave the East Coast, though!