Sunday, July 28

Summer

Greg took the summer off school and we've absolutely loved having him home. It's been so nice having dinner together, going out together in the evenings and having a little more time to get things done. In late June we went camping in the Shenandoah Valley with friends and loved being up in the beautiful mountains. We had a 4th of July party at our house and had lots of fun celebrating with friends and watching the fireworks. We've started playing (I use this term loosely) tennis and have had fun getting out to all the parks in our area. We also bought ourselves an ice cream maker for mothers/father day and have enjoyed making and eating way too much ice cream over the past months. It's really been a nice summer, less all the stress from some of the realities of life.

My co-nanny gave her two weeks notice late in June so this month it's all me again. I wasn't really looking to take on more hours, or work M-F again, but I wasn't quite ready to quit entirely either, so I guess it's the best situation for now. I'm working a lot of long days over the summer (never thought I'd see a 45 hour week again), but come September when the kids go back to school I'll just be working afternoons which will be a more ideal schedule.

We're coming up on the last semester of law school and neither of us could be more excited to be done. We're thrilled to be done with tuition payments, late night classes and weekends of studying, but unfortunately looming at the end of it is a lot of uncertainty. We were beyond disappointed when we found out a week or so ago that Greg's current firm at will not be hiring him as an attorney when he graduates. We figured we had about a 50/50 chance of getting the job, and it didn't fall in our favor. So we're on the job search. Know anyone who needs an employment law attorney? Bonus points if the job is somewhere in the west half of the country.
William is an absolute character and adds so much excitement to our life. He is such a busy big boy now. His hair is super curly in the humidity then flattens right out inside. He's always moving around and finding something to get into. He laughs lots and has this cheesy toothy smile that is hilarious. He doesn't really consistently use any words yet, but can say "dada", "mama", "rawr", "uh-oh" and "haww" (hot) when he's in the mood. He loves books, dogs, playing in water, watching people and of course, eating. On the not to positive side, he has started to bite, hit and throw things. He has quite the temper when things are not to his liking. Any ideas on how to discipline a 1 year old? This parenting thing gives me a run for my money somedays.

So that's what's new with us this summer. How is summer treating you?


3 comments:

amanda said...

Sounds like a great summer! I was seriously thinking that I haven't heard from you (online) in a few months and I was wondering what you guys were up to!

Katya said...

Yay for almost being done with school! I'm glad you guys have had a good summer. Sorry about things falling through with Greg's firm...that really sucks. Good luck to him on the job hunting!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a great summer! I loved hearing about all the things William is enjoying and how he is developing. And love that picture of Greg and William sleeping together :).